Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Temptation: Carmen de Anguis Jewelry

I can resist everything except temptation.  - Oscar Wilde


I have been blessed with mostly healthy temptations, and most of them involve sugary substances, quality footwear, and a diverse field of attractive men, therefore I usually give in to them sooner or later.  (Current Fascination is a hunky young fellow who has a sweet tooth just like mine - a potentially dangerous combination for my figure.  And I've had long-term relationships based on far less than this, so who knows? )  For instance, I am tempted to eat an entire box of Ding Dongs for breakfast, but I won't because I know it will just spike my blood sugars.  But I will have one after I eat my granola with raspberries on top.  Okay, I'll probably have two.  

For me there is merely a fine line between temptation and inspiration.  Like, right now I am so tempted to plant raspberries.  In the desert.  But people do it here, so why shouldn't I?  The only thing holding me back is how much it will spike my water bill...and also a strange superstition I have about planting raspberries, but I'll save that for another post.

I am tempted to get a mohawk like my son got on his visit with his dad.  I am tempted to dye purple streaks in my hair.  (Actually, I did do that once.  I usually pride myself on being all natural, but years back when we moved into a very conservative town I had purple streaks added just to rattle the neighbors.  It's good to stand out from the crowd.)  I want to move to Venice and work in a flower shop like the lady in Bread and Tulips.  (This may have to wait until my son is out of school.)

I want to be a go-go dancer.  I want to take singing lessons.  I want to learn how to ride a motorcycle.  I want to learn how to surf.  I want to sleep in 'til 10am every day.  I want to go on a cheese-tasting tour of France.  I want to spend an entire summer attending Shakespeare plays in Ashland, Oregon.  Or better yet, The Globe in London!    I want to use my baby grand piano as a dining table.  I want to sign my son up for ballet lessons while he's still too young to hate me.  In my opinion, these are all positive temptations, so don't be surprised if someday you see me dancing in a cage wearing a shimmy dress and high boots.

Now here's a little something you won't find on Amazon.

I have so many really gifted and creative friends and I love to promote their work.  For instance, Seattle-based artist Angela Piszker creates a very unique line of jewelry called Carmen de Anguis.  (If you know me personally you've probably noticed some of the necklaces I wear - the one with the little sterling-framed Buddha is one of her pieces.)  Angela's attention to detail and quality workmanship make each piece a tiny treasure.  Her most recent line features vintage botanical prints, Turkish tiles, and butterflies.  Just look at this lovely peacock pendant!


(Oh my gosh I'm so in love...)

You can read more about Angela and view and purchase her exquisite, modestly priced necklaces and earrings online at etsy.com:

CarmenDeAnguis

OK. Time to yield to another recurring temptation...







GET UP AND DANCE!
You know you want to.







YUM.


Original material © 2011 betsylolafalanadowling.blogspot.com, Brain Fuzz & Betsy Dowling, All Rights Reserved
Image of raspberry from http://bakerbarth.wordpress.com/2010/07/27/cupcake-hero-august/

No comments:

Post a Comment